Key Scriptures for this study are:
- John 3:1-7
- John 3:16-18
- Romans 10:9
- Romans 10:13
- 2 Corinthians 5:17
John 3:1 says, “There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:”
John 3:2 says, “The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.”
John 3:3 says, “Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
- How you become born again is with prayer.
In these scriptures, we learn that Nicodemus was seeking out the Lord for himself. The story of Nicodemus teaches us that seeking out a relationship with the Lord is personal- it is between you and the Lord alone. We learn that in order to be born again, we have to go to the Lord and confess (speak) our sins to Him in prayer and ask to be forgiven. Once we become born again, we will begin our personal relationship with Jesus.
John 3:4 says, “Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?”
John 3:5 says, “Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.”
- To be born again, is to begin to live a new, different life.
- We must have a new nature, new morals, new desires, and a new character.
- By our first birth we were born into sin; therefore we must be made new creatures through Jesus Christ.
- We must be entirely different from what we were before.
- It is a great change made in the heart of a sinner, by the power of the Holy Spirit. It means that something is done in us, and for us, which we cannot do for ourselves.
- Only Jesus Christ can save us.
- Being born again by the spirit is done through spoken prayer.
John 3:6 says, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
*In this scripture, the word “flesh” means that it is you without God.*
John 3:7 says, “Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.”
- Through spoken prayer is how you become born again.
To become a born again Christian, you have to speak out in sincere prayer for Jesus to forgive you of your sins. When you speak out to Jesus in prayer, He will hear you and He will save you. From the moment you are born again and given the gift of salvation, Jesus will change you into a new person, free from sin and your old life.
John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
John 3:17 says, “For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”
John 3:18 says, “He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.”
Becoming Born Again
- Becoming born again is for anyone who believes Jesus is the Son of God.
- Becoming born again is for anyone who confesses their sins in spoken prayer to Jesus.
- Becoming born again is for anyone who asks Jesus to forgive them of their sins in spoken prayer.
- Becoming born again is for anyone with a sincere heart, wanting to live for Jesus.
- Salvation is a gift from God that frees each of us from sin and gives us a new life in Christ.
Romans 10:9 says, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
Romans 10:13 says, “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
- These scriptures are teaching us about talking and praying to the Lord.
- If we confess with our mouths to the Lord of our sins and ask for forgiveness, He will save us from our sins and we will become saved (born again).
Steps to Becoming Born Again
- Believe that Jesus Christ is our Savior.
- Have a repentant heart (be sincere).
- Go to Jesus in prayer and repent of your sins.
- Ask Jesus to forgive you and wash your heart clean from the sins in your life.
- Ask Jesus to come live in your heart and to take charge of your life.
2 Corinthians 5:17 says, “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”
When we finally come to Jesus Christ and become born again (saved) our lives before salvation will no longer be the path we walk, but instead, our lives and ourselves will be made new. This means that our lives will no longer be bound to sin and neither will our choices or our actions. Instead, our lives will be free from sin and we will have a desire to live for Jesus and to be more like Him every day.
How to Pray for Salvation
Dear Jesus, please forgive me for I have sinned. I believe in you and I want to live for you. Please forgive me for my sins and save me from them. Save me and wash me clean. Jesus, come into my heart and live.